Re: WD-xhtml2-20050527: img element not required

* Dave Hodder wrote:
>It wouldn't make XHTML 2 any more compatible with "legacy" user agents
>anyway -- XHTML 2 achieves this compatibility through a user agent's
>understanding of XML[1] (plus CSS and/or XSLT) rather than any intrinsic
>knowledge of HTML 4 or XHTML 1.

You cannot reasonably use XSLT for compatibility with existing user
agents, one obvious reason would be that there is no way to tell XHTML
2.0 user agents to not apply the transformation, others would be lack
of support for XSLT (especially for application/xhtml+xml documents),
and the many issues outlined in

  http://www.w3.org/mid/410419db.105255008@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de

CSS would only be an option if you can ignore many features like forms,
scripting, and linking. Indeed, links would depend proprietary features,
XSLT, or elements in the XHTML 1.x namespace. XSLT would be the only
standards-compliant method and it does not really work as explained
above. If that's nevertheless an option, I am not sure why you can't
use XHTML 1.x instead.

Also note that user agents do not have any "understanding of XML"
other than beeing able to evaluate documents for well-formedness.