Re: code and blockcode

Hi Laurens,

At 02:57 13/07/2005, Laurens Holst wrote:

>Simon Siemens wrote:
>
>>Yes, we have additional semantics by "code" and "blockcode". But what is
>>the usage? It's the same as adding a tag for exclamation sentences like:
>
>Well, as a use case, look at the following example [1]:
>(...)

(Laurens quotes an example of blockcode from the current draft, with a CSS
style sheet to number each line.)

>This would create automatic line numbering, which makes sense for code,
>but not for other preformatted content such as a poem where whitespace
>matters [2].

Line numbering does make sense for poetry, even in poems where whitespace
matters. It is common practice in literature textbooks. Any academic
edition of plays by Shakespeare (and near-cotemporaries) also uses line
numbering. However, in such textbooks and editions, only every fifth or
tenth line gets a number.
Moreover, when quoting a literary text, you woulnd't use blockcode but
blockquote. For poems where whitespace matters, I find blockquote (with CSS
white-space:pre) preferable to the pre element.

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe

>(...)
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-text.html#sec_9.7.
>[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-structural.html#sec_8.7.
>[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-structural.html#sec_8.2.
>
>--
>Ushiko-san! Kimi wa doushite, Ushiko-san!!

By the way, what does this mean?

--
Christophe Strobbe
Document Architectures