Re: XHTML 2.0 - dfn : Content model and usability

Le 05-07-05 à 16:39, David Woolley a écrit :
> Firstly, span should only be used as a last resort, when there is no
> more specific element.

Agreed.

> Secondly, as its origins are traditional
> typography, a benefit was perceived for the user long before the
> web was invented.

:))) Yes but it doesn't justify anything :)
Romans had no ponctuation in text a lot before printing and typography.
Egyptians had a way to mark certain names with a cartouche.
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartouche

and plenty of examples like that ;)
The fact that something was true in the past doesn't make it true now in
     - a new technology environment
     - an international mixing of cultures
     - an mixing of disabilities

> There are a number of other elements that also correspond to specific
> traditional uses of italics.

which is very tied to our western cultures and latin alphabet.

In this discussion, I'm focussing on the use of dfn to make it as
useful as possible not about rendering :) The rendering of semantics
elements with a certain typography had a particular meaning in
certain cultures and publishers (different conventions depending on
the publishers) and CSS is here for that. :) It just gives a solution
for western people who are able to read a Web page. ;)

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***