Re: Embedding attributes and including content, vs. XFrames

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:00, you wrote:
> I brought up a similar point in August.
>
> Here was the conclusion:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2004Aug/0008.html

Interesting.  I thought I was on the list back then, but I don't remember the
topic coming up.

Anyway, it seems the result implies that

would be somewhat equivalent to

    <iframe src="sitemenu.html"/>

In that, a whole document is required.

But what if the "src" included is not a whole document, but just any fragment
like in XInclude?  This is what I'm wondering.

In any case if we have already decided that XInclude is the way to go, if
XInclude isn't explicitly mentioned in the XHTML2 spec then no browser will
incorporate it in their XHTML2 support.

In addition to this, it seems that if I wanted my server to perform the
include itself in cases where the client didn't support it, that there would
be no way to detect which clients had support for this feature.  I hope I'm
wrong.

But you know, the way I've been going at the moment, I would probably use
XSL:T to achieve this functionality, by making every page point at a
stylesheet which just inserts the bits into the appropriate places.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/