Re: hr, fieldset, legend, sub, sup not to be removed XHTML Basic

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:04:48 +0000, Rimantas Liubertas <ic@rimantas.com>
wrote:

> While I agree that legend, fieldset, sub and sup have semantic value I
> fail to see it in hr. "Horisontal ruler" - can it be more presentational
> than this?

I agree that by design, <hr> is presentational. But it needn't be.
Semantically «horisontal ruler» doesn't mean much, but it can mean
«separation» in some form.

Thus would it be much more natural to call the element <sep> or something
like that, especially in HTML where you don't have <section> elements to
wrap parts of the document together. You could of course do this with the
<hr>.

I don't think <hr> is very useful in XHTML 2.0, but in XHTML 1.x and HTML
it certainly was, to some respect. Not just as a visual horisontal ruler,
but also as a content separator or divider.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        asbjornu@hotmail.com