Re: Concerns about the "l" element name <l>

> It's a bit off topic regarding the Subject line, but surely not for the
> list. An element that means 'line' is somewhat odd, since 'line' is a
> concept related to visual presentation rather than logical structure. What
> is a 'line' in speech, or in Braille rendering, or to an indexing robot?

As you mention later on, we need to apply a semantic meaning to it, thus ruling out visual presentation use.

> Yes, but as soon as generated content and counters really start working,
> you can use them even on HTML as currently defined - you can use e.g.
> the <div> element, or even make a sequence of lines a <ul> and strip off
> the list bullets in rendering.

Yes, but as you go on later to say, <l> should have a semantic meaning.  <div> in my mind has no semantic meaning, mainly used to
arbitrarily structure pages for mainly layout purposes, while <ul> is for a list of objects that have a common link, rather than
special* lines of text with a continual joining relationship.

* "special" as in with a reason for their separation, such as verse lines, address lines, computer code lines, etc. rather than the
lines formed by line length restrictions in this e-mail correspondence.

> The l element indicates a short fragment of text that constitutes a
> separate unit, which normally has no independent meaning but belongs
> to a wider context. It is typically much shorter than a paragraph.
>
> The l element can be used to indicate, for example,
> - a verse line in a poem
> - a major part of a postal address, such as street address
> - a mathematical or chemical formula
> - a fragment of text inside or after a paragraph, when the fragment
>   should be considered as separate from the normal flow of text
> - a line of computer code when line structure is significant in
>   the code language used.

I agree with those examples.

> The l element should not be used for a small fragment of text that
> has an independent role and meaning, such as a short copyright statement
> like "Copyright 2004 Jukka K. Korpela" or contact information such as
> "E-mail: jkorpela@cs.tut.fi".

Also agree.

> If contact information consists of separate
> units such as E-mail address and telephone number, then the units can be
> marked up as l elements to separate them from each other.

If they are separate units like you suggest, such as an e-mail address, telephone number, etc. then they probably would be better
marked up as a <dl>, like so.

<dl>
    <dt>Email address</dt>
    <dd>me@ocoth.id.au</dd>