Re: noscript inside p

On Jan 3, 2004, at 11:39 AM, Ernest Cline wrote:
>> From: Greg Willits <willitsg@pacbell.net>
>> XHTML 1.0 T doesn't allow <noscript> inside <p>, or at least the
>> current validator doesn't allow it. I don't understand the reasoning
>> alternative cannot. This doesn't make sense.
>
> Actually it does makes sense in a weird way.
>
> <script> is an Inline element and thus can be placed inside of <p>
> while <noscript> is a Block element  and cannot be placed inside
> a <p>.  I'll grant that it doesn't make much sense for <script>
> and <noscript> to not be interchangeable but the simple fact is
> that in HTML4/XHTML1 they aren't.

I guess that's what my point was--it seems like they should be
interchangeable considering the whole point (as I understand it) is for
noscript to offer an alternative process at the same point in the
document.

I'm not that savvy at the XML level yet, and reading through some of
the recent commentary on noscript, perhaps there's uses for it I just
don't understand.

At any rate, I solved my validation problem by rewriting my custom tag
to convert email addresses to entities rather than use document.write
which I see is on the "don't do this" list now too. Much to learn...

-- greg willits