Re: Navigation List Issues

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:17, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Trejkaz Xaoza wrote:
> > But <nl> also contains <label>.  There is no container for just the
> > items, as the original poster pointed out.
>
> So what? a seperate container is not necessary.

> >>  nl li[href] { border: 2px outset black; }
> >
> > The original poster wanted a border around the list items, not one border
> > around _each_ list item.
>
> Ok, that's easy.  I created an XHTML2 document and applied this css and
> achieved the desired effect.  I'm sure there are plenty of other way's
> to do it, this is just one.
>
> nl { display: block; border: 2px outset black; }
> nl label { margin-top: -1em; }
> li { display: list-item; }

This doesn't work on Firefox, but you might be using another browser anyway.

Also, how would this work?  As far as I can tell, this would move the label up
one line above the box.  What if that causes spacing issues with whatever was
before the list?  What if the label contains more than one line of text?

The only way I think this would be easy to hack together would be something
like...

nl li { border-left: 1px solid black; border-right: 1px solid black; }
nl li:first-child { border-top: 1px solid black; }
nl li:last-child { border-bottom: 1px solid black; }/* Is last-child valid? */

So it can be done, sure, but it's not exactly clean in any sense of the word.

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' -
Arthur C Clarke

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: trejkaz@jabber.xaoza.net