Re: object elements with inline data?

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>

> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 20:21, Robert Sayre wrote:
> > In HTML 4.01, there's a mechanism for including inline data in the data
> > attribute of the object element.
> > I've noticed that the example object tag in the latest XHTML2 draft has
> > dropped this practice[1]. What replacements, if any, are being
considered
> > for this method?
>
> It is still allowed in XHTML2, but instead of being defined as part of
> the (X)HTML spec, XHTML 2 just says "use whatever URL you want".
>This includes "data:" URLs, which are defined in RFC 2397[1].
>
> Gecko (Mozilla, Netscape et al.) and Opera already support "data:"
> URLs.
> ________
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2397.txt

But the example of how to do the inline data has changed
for this in HTML 4.01:
***
Here's an example that illustrates how inline data may be fed to an OBJECT:

<P>
<OBJECT id="clock1"
        classid="clsid:663C8FEF-1EF9-11CF-A3DB-080036F12502"
        data="data:application/x-oleobject;base64, ...base64 data...">
    A clock.
</OBJECT>***

To this is the current XHTML2 draft:
***
Here's an example that illustrates how inline data may be fed to an object
handler:

<object
    id="clock1"
    type="application/x-java-applet">
    A clock.
</object>
***

Now maybe I'm missing something because of my unfamiliarity with Java,
but where is the inline data for the object in the XHTML2 example?
Is a clock the default Java applet; is it being triggered by the element's
id attribute;, or is there an error is the example?