Re: complexity

On 4/19/04 5:33 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>> Not every browser aims to be an "application plattform".
>
> Any browser that doesn't aim to be an application platform would find
> itself severely locked out of large parts of the Web.

This is silly.  It is like saying that any browser that doesn't aim to be an
implementation of SWF would find itself severely locked out of large parts
of the Web, since many many websites use SWF files and some even depend on
them.

It is perfectly reasonable* to build a declarative-only browser engine whose
aim would be to support interactive documents with declarative technologies
like XHTML and CSS while foregoing all the complexities (and security and
accessibility problems etc.) of DOM and scripting support.  I bet it would
take fewer people too.  It would probably be faster and smaller too.

Tantek

*Try turning off scripting support in your favorite browser and browsing
typical sites.  You'll find that most sites work just fine with scripting
turned off.