Re: complexity (was: Re: XHTML and RDF)

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 02:43:25PM -0000, ic wrote:

> >Perhaps it would be best if the W3C suspended activities on new specs
> >to work on simplifying the specs they've already written.
>
> And how wolud it help? Standards may be too complex for people who are
> not going to implement them (at least such claims were made). I did
> not hear complaints from people implementing them yet. Sure you can
> make standards simple. But can you make them simple without leaving
> ven more freedom for interpretation? Many problems (CSS in particular)
> are rooted in spec not being specific enough how should one thing or
> other be implemented. Relaxed standartds will result in relaxed
> implementations, and thats zeroes any value of standart by definition.

It seems you misunderstood the issue. We are not talking about
simplifying the standards' texts. (All W3C standards I've read so far
are well written.) We are talking about simplifying the technology
described by the standards.

> I do not develop browsers, I deal with web development, but I see no
> problems reading specs. And I may be mistaken, but I guess "backward
> compatibility" and problems alike give developers much more headache
> than any standartd.

Well, I do develop browsers. While "backwards compatibility" (i.e.
handling of tag soup) gives me some headaches, the prospect of having to
implement things like XForms or XInclude or CSS2 gives me much more of
them.

-antrik-