RE: AW: XHTML 2.0 and hreflang

I see your point, but with languages, there is already a need for some
degree of value manipulation needed if for example one wants a
search for "de" to also match "de-AT"  However, the rules for a value
of multiple languages could be strengthened by for example banning
whitespace so that for example hreflang="de, en" would be an illegal
value, and by insisting that multiple languages be listed in order so
that hreflang="en,de" would be wrong and only hreflang="de,en" would
be correct for referting to a bilingual English and German resource.
Applying these rules would mean that for multiple language resources
there would be only a single correct way of indicating the value intended.
This would ensure that for each value, only a single representation
would be valid while not significantly adding to the complexity of a
search for any hreflang attribute that has any reference to German.

(Limiting hreflang to values of only a single language such a search
 could for example use the ECMAScript regular expression
 /^de(-|$)/i to search or German hreflang values while allowing multiple
languages per value would require /(^|,)de(-|,|$)/i  I'll grant that the
second regular expression is more  complicated, but it introduces
no problems that the first one doesn't.)