Re: Converting between XHTML 1 and XHTML 2 with XSLT

David Woolley wrote:

>>Le 14 nov. 2003, à 07:29, Jeremy Rand a écrit :
>>

>>>Will the WG release XSLT sheets that transform between XHTML 1 and
>>>XHTML 2?  I think a lot of people would find this useful.
>>>

>I don't see why.  You will almost certainly lose information in the process.
>Keep the documents in their original format.

You (nearly) always lose data when converting between formats; this does
not stop people from doing it.  The main reason for doing this is when,
for some reason (e.g. a tool only supports one format), you need it in a
particular format, it is useful to do this, since the data that is lost
would never have been used anyway, since the format that you need
doesn't support that type of data.  One advantage I see (and whether
this is the right way to do it is debatable) would be to write XHTML 2
documents before they are supported in browsers, and simply use XSLT to
convert it back to a format that the browsers do support (such as XHTML
1).  In fact, I do this now.  A good XSLT sheet would make this easier.

By the way, why would converting XHTML 1 to XHTML 2 cause data loss?  I
was under the impression that XHTML 2 supported all the semantics that
XHTML 1 supported; it just expressed them in a better way.  Now, whether
the XSLT sheet /supports /those changes is a different story, but a
/good/ one wouldn't have any issues that I can think of.