Re: More language tags would solve a lot of annoyances

Hi,

Am Freitag, 14. November 2003 23:45 schrieb ReedMon29@aol.com:
> All web pages start with either the <html> or the <?xml> tags.
> Even if you code in XHTML you still have to use the root tag <html>.
Wrong.
a) SVG-only-documents have an svg root element and smil-only-document again
have their own root element.
b) Don't forget the DTD.

> But, instead of having such a useless tag, why not have a different tag for
> the language the current part of the page is coded in?
It's not useless.
It carries the namespace of the document structure language in use, the
language the document is written in etc.:
<svg xmlns="..." xml:lang="pl" ...>...

> tags? With that, you could switch from languages easily, hopefully without
> would work the exact same).
<vml/> is proprietary, I give a fucking shit (sorry) on it until it's on the
way to become W3C Recommendation and being supported by not just Microsoft.

CSS is not xml based, so it does not get its element.
It only gets its element when embedded, and it's <script type="text/css"> so
you can tell it's css. You might also use <script
type="application/xml"><xsl:stylesheet
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">... to denote XSLT for example.

And it's <script type="text/javascript"> because you might also use <script
type="text/perl"> (or whatever mime type is for perl) to use perl scripts.

> It shouldn't be to hard to do, and should remove the need of the "imports"
> tag for VML or SMIL.
No.
a) Don't forget to differ between XML-based documents and non-XML-based
documents.
b) Don't forget about the HTTP / RFC MIME Types sent by the server
c) Don't forget about the Document Type or XML Schema associated with a
document
d) Don't forget about the XML namespace
e) Don't forget that some documents might be mixed or standalone, and that if
mixing there still might be a difference between different elements that are
mixed.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (Shareholding CEO)
Telefon: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 37
Telefax: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 39
E-Mail: Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com
WWW: http://www.itcqis.com/