Re: Scripting DTD's

Hi Aaron,

Am Freitag, 14. November 2003 03:09 schrieb AaronEldreth@cs.com:
> A friend and I were talking about the advantages of XHTML 2.0, and were
> also thinking about the DTDs and how beneficial they are. Why not create a
> set of general scripting DTD's (like one for javascript, vbscript, and
> ecmascript). If someone doesn't like one of those languages, they can get a
> copy of the DTD and edit it to suit their needs? Or better yet, have a
> program that would make a script DTD for them? Since XHTML 2 is still in
> devolopment, the SDTD (Scripting DTD) could be added, and included for the
> final relese of XHTML 2.
I can't see the point.
What's scripting got to do with XHTML DTD's or Schemata?

In case you don't know, a DTD can only create a simply ruleset of validating
XML relevant aspects of a document. Usual scripting languages like ecmascript
(which is javascript) or vbscript or perl are beyond that scope because their
syntax is not based on XML.
It's impossible to validate a script using a DTD.

Also, the current form handling scripts in documents with the <script/>
element is independent of the scripting language because the language's
MIME-Type is used in the @type attribute of the <script/> element:

<!-- ... -->
<script type="text/javascript"><![CDATA[
window.alert("Buh!");
]]></script>
<!-- ... -->

(Of course, the CDATA section is not really neccessary in this example, it is
only for not getting problems with < and & characters in scripts)

The attribute type of the @type attribute currently is CDATA (%ContentType or
something similar), you can fill in any valid Mime Type.

If I got you complete wrong and you mean something else, please repeat your
question and give some examples.

Bye, have a nice weekend
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (Shareholding CEO)
Telefon: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 37
Telefax: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 39
E-Mail: Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com
WWW: http://www.itcqis.com/