Re: XHTML 2.0 <datetime> element proposal

>Am Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2003 18:20 schrieb Lachlan Hunt:
>> [suggesting a <datetime/> element]
>1. I think this is beyond the scope of HTML.

  The proposal in my last post [1] on this topic, referring to the numerous
calenders in use around the world, is definately out of the scope of XHTML.
 However, a simple datetime element, that contains a datetime attribute which
accepts an ISO 8601 format date would be within the scope.

  Thanks to some of the previous replies, especially Ernest Cline's [2], I now
realise how useful the ISO format is, and how unnecessary it would be to complicate
this issue by attempting to represent a countless number of world wide calenders
in XML.

>2. If such an element is added, I think the format should be 100% compatible

>with the corresponding types of XML Schema.

  If the existing datetime attribute, currently used in section 6.4 [3](Edit
Collection) was used, then it would be already compatible with XML Schema.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Nov/0030.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Nov/0034.html
[3] (XHTML Attribute Collections: 6.4 Edit Collection)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030506/mod-attribute-collections.html#col_Edit