Re: Magic Elements (was: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

On 5/10/03 4:59 PM, "Simon Jessey" <simon@jessey.net> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, that is a good point as well.  Though the group *did* consider <blockq>
instead ;)

> Your argument doesn't hold true, however. The WG changed <line> into <l>, a
> decision I still think is ludicrous,

In my opinion this was a simple as seeking to avoid unnecessary tag name
collisions in vocabularies which are likely to be used together (even if
namespaces help avoid technical collisions, people *will* confuse the same
tag meaning different things in one document).  SVG had <line> first, and
probably more appropriately so.

> given the similarities to the letter i
> and the number 1 in some typefaces. Imagine the havoc this sort of thing
> could cause: <l>The binary number 111 looks very ill</l> ;)

l00k, ar3 u r3411y s4y1ng th3r3'5 a pr0613m h3r3?

programmers have had this "problem" for quite some time, hence why most
fonts used as defaults in code editors tend to distinguish
  0 vs. O, 1 vs. l vs i vs. I etc.

I think this is a silly reason to get upset about a tagname.  Just pick a
better default font in your text editor.

And sometimes I think, maybe uppercase tagnames would have been better...

Tantek