Re: embed element

On 3/18/03 9:36 AM, "Sigurd Lerstad" <sigler@bredband.no> wrote:

>> On 3/18/03 6:56 AM, "Sigurd Lerstad" <sigler@bredband.no> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Looking at the svg test suites. The frame-based version uses <embed> (go
>>> figure :) But I can't find in any of the (x)html specs any reference to
> the
>>> <embed> element. I know this element is deprecated. Or maybe it's never
> been
>>> a standard, but just something netscape came up with? But why are the
> svg
>>> test suites using it instead of <object> or <iframe> ?
>>>
>>> Why am I asking? Because I'm making a XHTML+SVG UA and I'd like users of
> my
>>> UA to view the svg test suites. And in order to do that I must now
> implement
>>> support for the <embed> element (really annoying really :)
>>>
>>> Where is the definition for <embed>?
>>
>> The first principle of W3C CSS test suites is: Valid Tests.
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/testsuitedocumentation#validtests
>>
>> Tests should _only_ be invalid if they are specifically testing error
>> conditions that require invalidity.  It doesn't sound like from your
>> question that <embed> is being used to test to make sure <embed> doesn't
>> work since it is not a valid HTML tag. ;-)
>>
>> I am proposing that the HTML test suites adopt these same principles.
>>
>> I am surprised that the SVG test suite would have invalid tests.
>>

> I'm not saying that the SVG test suites are invalid by themselves, but when
> you select frame-based view of the tests, the html page for each test
> contains two embed elements, one linking to the svg file and another to a
> png image. And I have questions about the embed element, not the svg test
> suites, which are fine by me.
>
> So where in the html specs is embed defined? If it's not defined, why have
> the svg test suite guys chosen to use the embed tag instead of the more
> appropriate <object> or <iframe> tags?

I don't know why embed was used instead of object.

Both the current CSS and HTML test suites use <object> to transclude the
test case seemlessly into navigation files while providing the downlevel
alternative of a link to the test case for browsers that have poor HTML4
support (and thus don't support <object>).

There is no need to use embed.

Here is an article which contains some discussion of embed vs. object and
documents how to validly use a particularly popular plug-in:

 http://www.alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/

Tantek