Re: Key/Item data

John Lewis wrote:

> Philip wrote on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 at 10:52:31 AM:
>
> > As you so rightly point out, definitions are just one possible
> > instantiation of keyword-value pairs, and a generic markup language
> > such as XHTML should surely contain generic tags rather than
> > specific.
>
> Why not clarify the definitions of dl, dt, and dd instead? There's
> nothing wrong with the names of the elements.

I can't see how you reach that conclusion, John; <DL>, <DT>, and <DD>
are clearly mnemonic for "Definition list", "Definition term"
and "Definition definition" (or "Definition data").  If we wish
to use them for a more general purpose, such as any/all ordered
pairs, then they should have equally general names, otherwise
they are being abused.

** Phil.