Re: [XHTML2] di element?

On 1 Mar 2003, at 17:12, Sean wrote:

> Perhaps
>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> meets your requirements? A <dl> with <di> items in it seems like it
> should be a regular old <ul>.

Not really. Actually the <div> based alternative I gave in my original
post comes closer as given the default presentation of <ul> in most
browsers your method would stick extraneous bullets in to be extracted
via CSS surgery. Your alternative still doesn't answer my concern that
it creates the impression of these being seperate definition lists when
in fact that are all part of the same definition list. One use I could
see for di would be for example:

 <section>
  <h>Faculty List</h>
  <dl>
   <di>...</di>
   <di>...</di>
   <di>...</di>
   <di edit="inserted" datetime="2003-03-01T18:15:30Z">
    <dt>Dr. Chico Harpo</dt>
    <dd>
      Dr. Harpo is the newest member of the Marxism department.
      He is a graduate of Fredonia National University.
      His interests include the opera, and making duck soup.
    </dd>
   </di>
  </dl>
 </section>

or to use CSS to set a border around one or more <di>'s. Are there
hacks that will let me add a border without adding the <di> element to
XHTML? Yes, but they require more effort on the part of the document
author, are not as intuitive, and obfuscate the document structure in
order to produce a presentational effect, all of which are things that
that run counter to the current thought on what (X)HTML should do,
which is to define the structure of the document and leave the
presentaion to other tools such as CSS.