Re: favicon.ico vs <link> - add link type for shortcut icon?

I definately would not want favicon.ico to ever be considered as a required
file for a server root. The worst thing about that is that the favicon
shouldn't have to be only icon format. The second worst thing is that people
shouldn't be forced to have a site icon, nor a certain file not to have crap
appear in their logs. I'm surprised I didn't hear of people creating invalid
icons purposefully to crash IE for messing up their logs. I know some people
had considered it.