Re: Input type=file

HTML401 says this:

typr="file"
    Creates a file select control. User agents may use
the value of the value attribute as the initial file
name.
Note the word 'may': it's allowed to do this, but it's
not required.

Most browsers decided not to allow a default value:
they thought it might be a security risk as
private/secret info could be posted without you
knowing (I don't know how one could do that without
CSS, but now that there is CSS the problem is
realistic

In short, no, you can't get have a default value in
most browsers, including IE