Re: H1

It seems a waste of a perfectly fine heading level to simply use it as a
surrogate for a previous element.

I think this kind of semantic hierarchy is fine for an html document:

Good:

title
  h1
   h2
   h2
   h2
  h1
   h2
   h2
   h2

etc. (fill in the implied html, head, body, div, p elements as needed).

And that more often than not, it would be a mistake to do this:

Less good:

title
h1
  h2