Re: a recommendation - Received on Thursday, 18 April 2002 14:01:42 EDT

ernestcline@mindspring.com wrote:

  I actually somewhat disagree with you.  I think there is already so
much added and changed that it would be worth updating.
  Aside from the <section> and <h> elements already stated which can be
achieved using this:
    <h1 class="h">heading 1</h1>
        <h2 class="h">heading 2</h2>
        <!-- etc... -->
And the <nl> which can be somewhat achieved using <ul>, there are some
things which cannot be so easily translated into XHTML1 equivalents.

  For example, the inclusion of XForms and XMLEvents are a big advantage
for accessability, and other advantages over current html forms and
script event handlers like @onclick, etc.  Despite the current lack of
support for these relatively new technologies, by the time XHTML 2 is
supported, these, hopefully, will be too.  However, there are also some
good enhancements to the elements and attributes:

Improved Attribute Collections:
* The Hypertext attribute collection which can be specified
  on most (or all?) elements provides many useful advantages.
  Being able to make any element a hyperlink with @href or a
  citation with @cite

* The Edit attribute collection changing from the two elements,
  which now allows changed and moved to be specified, wheras
  only insert and delete can with the elements.

* The dir attribute in the Bi-di text collection, which
  replaces <bdo> which now also supports lro and rlo with ltr
  and rtl.

Improved Elements:
* <title> now suports inline elements, which perhaps might be
  good for specifing style such as aural styles so that the
  way a title is read by a speech synthesizer can be changed,
  or maybe visual UAs might support multi-coloured titles...
  who knows?

* The <blockcode> which can only be presentationally achieved
  using <pre> or maybe:
      <code style="display:block"></code>

* The <l> element (personally, I think is one of the best
  elements I've seen for structure) which can be approximated
  using:
  though not quite as semantic as <l>.
  (The <br> is needed  in XHTML1 for those UA that have
  style sheets disabled, or not supported to still see the
  line break, but the <span> allows for styling such as line
  numbers, or whatever.)

* The <object> element has been improved.  Reducing the number
  of object specific attributes from
  "archive, classid, codebase, codetype, data, declare, standby" to
  "archive, data, declare, content-length and Common",
  and replacing @standby with <standby>. makes it easier to use by being
less ambiguous.

  Plus, there's the complete removal of all the presentational elements,
I don't think they do have some semantic meaning because it does
actually mean something when  a subscript or superscript is read in a
document, rather than just looking good.)

  So, IMO, although there are XHTML1 substitues for, there are quite a
lot of changes in XHTML2 that will be worth taking advantage of as soon
as possible.

CYA
...Lachy!