Re: XHTML2 and metainformation

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 04:53:38PM -0400, Ernest Cline wrote:
> | > <link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" />
> |
> | It still is a kludgy hack. Not as kludgy as I first thought, but still
> | kludgy. Dublin Core assumes that <link rel="schema.*" /> can be used to
> | assign a namespace to a metainformation schema. This however is not a
> | normative part of the XHTML2 standard nor has it ever been a normative
> | part of any (X)HTML standard issued by W3C.
>
> Nor does (X)HTML make any attempt to define Spanish, but you can still
> write Spanish documents in (X)HTML.

But (X)HTML does define a standard way of indicating that a document
(or a piece of a document is in Spanish through the use of the
(xml:)lang attribute. There currently is no standard way of indicating
a piece of metainformation is part of a particular metainformation
schema.

> My point is that there is nothing in (X)HTML to specifically disallow
> the use of <link rel="schema.*" />.

And there is nothing in (X)HTML to endorse it either. As I've pointed
out already, as a bare minimum I'd support making this a normative part
of XHTML2, but I think there are better methods available than using
<link rel="schema.*" />. The most I will say for it was that it was the
best that could be achieved given the lack of such support as part of
previous (X)HTML standards.