Re: [XHTML2] Unicode line and paragraph separators

"Ernest Cline" <ernestcline@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > "Unicode in XML and other Markup Languages" Note classifies those
> > characters as "characters not suitable for use with markup" [1].
> > It is quite unlikely that XHTML 2.0 would advocate such usage
> > against this guideline.
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/#Line
>
> I wasn't aware of the TR, but having read it, I only agree with it in
> part.  The only reason that these characters are not recommended is
> because of the existance of paragraph and line markup in (X)HTML.

No.  The guideline here is essentially "use markup rather than those
separator characters", and (X)HTML is merely an example.  The principle
still holds for other markup languages, such as XHTML 2.0.

If you don't agree, you'd better argue with the Unicode Technical
Committee and the W3C Internationalization Working Group why this
guideline is inappropriate, and this list is not an appropriate
place for that discussion.

> If there
> were no earlier (X)HTML standards, I think that separator model would
> be clearly the superior.

Back to 10+ years ago, <p> was an empty paragraph separator in HTML.
It was changed to a container element in HTML 2.0.  Your argument
sounds like a step backwards.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org