Re: [XHTML2] Unicode line and paragraph separators

[Taking out www-style, as this is off-topic there.]

At 2003-04-04T07:29+0100, Toby A Inkster wrote:-

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:52:14AM -0500, Ernest Cline wrote:
> | If there
> | were no earlier (X)HTML standards, I think that separator model would
> | be clearly the superior. If XHTML2 was not already engaged in the
> | pruning of existing (X)HTML elements, then markup elements would
> | clearly be the preferred choice. However, the earlier standards do
> | exist and XHTML2 is pruning a significant number of (X)HTML elements,
> | meaning that the choice must be made on another basis.
>
> An argument against it is this. Your &ls; entity would be effectively
> and semantically the same as <br/> which is one of the elements we're
> actively tring to get rid of!

And another: Not everything in (X)HTML is inside a paragraph. Some
elements can appear inside or outside of a paragraph. Using just paragraph
separators, it is *impossible* to determine whether such an element is
part of a paragraph or not, unless you impose an otherwise unnecessary
restriction on exactly where they can be.

Tim Bagot