Re: br element should be eliminated

Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> writes:

> At the last face-to-face meeting, the HTML WG indeed decided to throw
> out "br".  The WG is working hard to reflect decisions at that meeting
> to the spec, and the next draft is expected by the end of this month.
> Unfortunately we couldn't go through all issues raised so far, but
> some of them will be addressed in the next draft.  Stay tuned.

Isn't it usually a good thing to leave deprecated elements in a
document type definition unless doing so imposes a non-trivial burden
on those who write processors for the document type?

Is "br" thought to be a formatting challenge?

Has the WG talked to those who have written HTML-4/XHTML-1 XSLT
sheets for DocBook and TEI?

                                    -- Bill