FW: OL needs the start attribute

> there is no implication of ascent or descent, just order
> which cannot be
> changed.

Says who?  The spec/recommendation certainly doesn't imply such
a limitation.  An ordered list is a series of items in a
sequence, a recurrent pattern.  There is no requirement that
this pattern be ascending and incremented by 1.

> The convention of showing an ordered list with
> ascending numbers
> is just one convention

That's exactly my point.  This is probably the most common
convention, but the specs don't limit us to this convention.

> there is no essential reason why
> an ordered
> list should be labelled with a sequence of markings
> possessing an implicit
> linear order, like the normal ways of marking an ordered list
> do.

The fact that it is ordered would indicate that there is some
numeric interval associated with the list.  How that interval
number is displayed is indeed a presentational aspect, and
should be handled by CSS.  But nonetheless, the interval still
exists, regardless of whether it is displayed or not, and I
should be able to determine what that interval is, and where it
begins.  I agree with you that the rendering of the list should
be handled by CSS, but I should be able to define where it
starts and what linear pattern it should obey.

Regards,
Peter