Re: HTML has, probably, confusing date format

Hello Cyril, dear list members,

Am Montag, 25. November 2002 22:41 schrieb Cyril:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am afraid that an inconvenient date format
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-datetime AND
> http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime AND
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-datetime-01.txt) has
> been chosen to represent dates in HTML, the format
> "YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD". In this format a month is represented by two
> digits, i. e. similar way as a day representation. Since it is so, I am
> very afraid that the day data could be confused with month data in one
> snap, in other words, very, very easily. (Two times "very" because, as
> you can feel, I am worry about such a choice very much.) I consider any
> date formats as confusing if it represents month by digits, not by
> letters. Why not represent month by 3 letters, for example "Jan" or
> "Sep". Sirs, if possible, let me know, is this date format is one and
> only legal date/time strings
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#adef-datetime) in HTML?
And how am I supposed to *easily* compare Jan / Feb / Mar for sorting? The
required hash is too much complication compared to the ease of current
datetime comparison.

And if you say Jan / Feb / Mar others will come and demand localized names for
internationalization.

No, leave it as it is.

It is a common known order to use year, month, day, hour, minutes, seconds
because that is the easiest and best sortable sequence. And do not cut down
the month field to a "one or two" digits, otherwise sorting would be much too
difficult.

Anyway there are only two html elements using an attribute of type Datetime:
<ins/> and <del/>.

Bye
--
ITCQIS GmbH