Re: XHTML 2.0 and <pre> element

Devon Y. wrote:

> Hi,
>  I'm by no means an expert in the subject, but shouldn't the <pre>
> element be moved to the presentation module, or perhaps become extinct?
> The way I understand it, XHTML 2.0 is to be semantic and structural. In
> this context, since <pre> says nothing about it's contents and
> everything about it's presentation, it seems it's really a purely
> presentational element.

"pre" is short for "preformatted", not "preserve whitespace". A quoted
plaintext email or a code snippet is preformatted, and markup that states
this is not presentational.

IMO.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4
Presentation is suggested, not recommended, for <pre>--as it is in the
next section for <p>.

~fantasai