'type' for style spec (Was: The 'type' attribute)

"Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@jelks.nu> writes:

> mechanism is put in place, we have to date been using the 'type'
> type.  Would it make sense to be more explicit, i.e. ...
>
> 	<link rel="stylesheet" notation="text/css" ... />
>   or
> 	<link rel="stylesheet" mimetype="text/css" ... />

*** Careful ***

Currently with IE 6, Mozilla 1, and Netscape 7pr1, if I want to use
XSLT, then my content must begin with something like:

     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>
     <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="pmathml.xsl"?>

BUT while the value of the 'type' attribute should be "text/xsl",
the HTTP content type for the value of the 'href' attribute must be
"text/xml".

I'm not commenting on whether it should or should not be this way, but
this does seem to be the way it is for now.

AFAIK "text/xsl" is not a registered content-type.  The use of text/xml
for XSLT has a certain level of justification under RFC 3023.

                                    -- Bill