RE: My comments on the XHTML 2 draft.

> From: Lorenzo De Tomasi [mailto:lorenzo.detomasi@libero.it]
>
> on 11-08-2002 21:14, Toby Inkster at tobyink@goddamn.co.uk wrote:

> > I think the new <h> element should have a "level" attribute
> which can
> > be used as such:
> >
> > <h level="1"> is a synonym for <h1>
> > <h level="6"> is a synonym for <h6>
> > <h level="7"> is new
> More the number is low more the text is rendered big.
>
> I think that an useful thing may be that we can use <h> with
> or without
> level attribute.

I'd ban such an attribute and have the level be defined by the node's
relative depth in the tree. Relative because we don't care about the
actual depth, but an algorithm can "level" <h> elements as it encounters
them. If an <h> element has a (calculated) level of 1 (initial for the
first encountered <h>) and it's parent is an ancestor of another <h>
then that <h> should be of level 2 (unless a closer ancestor with an <h>
element exists).

Pure structural emphasis.

Cheers,

Manos