Re: Verbosity of XHTML 2 (was Re: XHTML 2.0 and Xlinks (again))

Hi Joanne, dear list members,

Am Montag, 12. August 2002 04:13 schrieb Joanne Hunter:
> The following text was discovered Sunday 11 August 2002 in a note
>
> attributed to one "Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>":
> > Why not simply require XHTML 2.0 user agents to be validating?
>
> I personally *really* like this; it appeals to my pedantic nature. IMO This
> Is The Way It Should Always Have Been. :)
Yeah! Someone who agrees! :-)

> ....or, the user agent could simply grab the DTD or schema and cache it.
Yes.

> > And hey, we don't need character entities anymore since even vi improved
> > is Unicode / UTF-8 capable and has no problems with chinese characters or
> > even rtl writing ;-)
>
> True, but that doesn't address, say, &lt; and &gt;.
Yes, but &lt;, &gt;, &amp;, &quot; and &apos; needn't be addressed since they are predefined in XML.

> > > <biiiiiiig example of document structure snipped>
> >
> > I wouldn't mind. I'm not deep enough into Schema so I can't tell if
> > Schema would reduce the namespace declarations. But anyway, there's
> > copy/paste and there's good editors.
>
> The problem is that there's people who blanch already at including the
> doctype in HTML 4.x. Requiring all that is almost certainly going to
> inspire folks to stick with older versions, which would be a Bad Thing.
Okay, that *is* an argument.
Is that, er, making something easy for people's stupidity, er, a topic for PISA? (just a German / Bavarian joke)

> And not yet everyone is wise enough to See The Light and just use Vim. :)
Oh how wonderful that sounds in my ears!

Greetings
--
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter