Re: Comments on XHTML 2.0 Working Draft

The following text was discovered Wednesday 07 August 2002 in a note
attributed to one "Mark Gallagher <mark@cyberfuddle.com>":

> Jonny Axelsson wrote:
> > 07.08.02 11:58:24, Jonas Jørgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk> wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
> >>Why should strong be deprecated?
> >
> > Because it is really <b> by another name. <strong> is different from
> > <em> (emphasis) in that there is a real use for emphasis, while "strong
> > emphasis" is an artifact from the earliest days of HTML, there is no
> > such thing outside the world of HTML.
>
> I think it's to do with the level of emphasis.  I'm EMPHASISING *each*
> /word/ _differently_ <here>.  I think there is a use for different
> levels (compare stressing your voice to snarling to shouting IRL),
> however it'd probably be better as:
>
> <emphasis level="weak">
> <emphasis level="strong">

I usually just nest <em> elements and add some styling like so:
em { font-style: normal; /* to get rid of defaults */
     font-weight: bold; }
em em { text-decoration: underline; }

or perhaps font-weight: bolder;, or font-style: italic;, etc.

--
Joanne Hunter <http://menagerie.tf/~jrhunter/>  Say No to HTML Mail!/"\
 Of course, I don't know how interesting any of this really is,     \ /