Re: Charset "iso-10646-1"

Terje Bless <link@pobox.com> wrote:

> >[ www-html only ]
>
> BTW, does www-html-edior auto-CC www-html?

No.  www-html-edior is not the right place to continue discussion.

> Let me rephrase/expand on that. On a pragmatic level, what is desireable is
> to get people to put the string "UTF-8" in whatever place they put such
> meta-information because that is the encoding they are actually using.

In reality, that's not always true, and it's too dangerous to let
people put the string "UTF-8" without understanding what they are
actually using.

> The goal isn't to impart a full understanding of charset issues; it's to
> get them to put in the right "magic ingredient" to make it "work".

The most importaint thing is to label it correctly whatever character
encoding they choose.  Mislabeling something as "UTF-8" is much worse
than using a legacy encoding correctly.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org