Re: Inheritance of alignment revisited

Hi

On Tue 30-Oct-2001 at 11:09:44 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> It seems that IE6 inherits from a parent element when there is a
> parent that has an explicit alignment set. It uses align="left" when
> there is no element to inherit from. Is this a correct behaviour
> according to the spec?

I don't know but I've had to spend a few hours fixing some really old
sites where things that were left aligned became centred in IE6.

The pages I had to fix had tables contained in <center> tags and all the
had to add align="left" to all the cells.

However this behaviour is less of a drag than the lack of any
inheritance for table cells in NN4 with CSS...

> This might be slightly off-topic. If I put this line in my stylesheet
>
>   td { text-align : left; }
>
> then all TD:s are left aligned, even the ones that have an
> align="right" attribute set. Is it the correct behaviour that CSS
> overrides align-attributes in the HTML-code?

Yes I think it is, in all browsers I'm aware of CSS rules overide the
old hacks.

Chris

--
Chris Croome