Re: Suggestion for a new HTML Tag

Jeff Barber wrote:

>There are lots of methods of compressing images
>which help speed page display times, however the main problem (apart from
>size) is network round trip.
>
>Each time an image is requested the browser has to go back to the server.
>
>I would have thought that a simple solution to this would have been to
>combine all of the images into a single file
>
>What say you ?

Seems like it's an old FAQ:

 From <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/mozilla-faq.html>:

1.13) _I did all that, and people were still rude to me. Why?_
    If you're proposing reworking something (like HTTP, HTML, etc)
    you're expected to have a pretty good knowlege of it first. For
    example, if you were to make a proposal to compress whole webpages
    before sending them, devise a new protocol to do so, research how
    HTTP works, how HTML works, and think about all the good *and* bad
    points of reworking things. To start understanding the issues with
    this example, you should dig up the RFCs for the relevant protocols,
    any documents written on the subject, etc. For this particular
example, you would want to go look at

    * Relevant topics Stuart Cheshire's discussion on Latency versus
      Bandwidth
      <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/%7Echeshire/rants/Networkdynamics.html>
    * Internet -- Under the Covers (by me)
      <http://junior.apk.net/%7Eqc/comp/protocols/>