RE: XHTML questions

Why is this? I thought the whole point was that if you came across a tag you
didn't understand, you just rendered the contents as if the tag wasn't
there.

This happens on both IE 3 and NN 3 and seems to be due to the '?' at the
beginning, which begs the question why was _that_ character chosen when it
would break backwards compatability.

Oh well, I don't suppose there's many v3 browsers left...