Re: https:/ and http:/ using relative URLs to switch between secure and non-secure

(a) I suggest that uri@w3.org is a more appropriate forum
	http://www.w3.org/Addressing/#discussion
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/

and

(b) I believe this request was considered and declined during the
development of the URI spec, RFC2396, though I don't have
specific pointers handy. I think libwww used to implement
it... the part about
	scheme1://auth1/path1 + scheme2:/path2 = scheme2://auth1/path2

This is the first time (I think) that it's been proposed to allow:

	scheme1://auth1/path11/path12 + scheme2:../path2
		= scheme2://auth1/path11/path2

In any case, I doubt you're
going to get a change to the relative URI parsing
algorithm at this stage. It's just too widely deployed.

oh... and

(c) note that this sort of syntactic manipulation of URIs
is scheme-independent. It's handled the same way for http, ftp,
mailto, news:, etc.

[...]