Re: linking a htm page within a htm page

<layer> is a proprietary tag. It is supported by Netscape
Navigator 4.x and no other browser. I haven't heard any
plans for support in Netscape 6, either.

The W3C Recommends that you use Cascading StyleSheets (CSS) to
position your web page content: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

This mailing list, as Dan Conolly said:
    > ...is supposed to be a forum for development
    > of the technology, more than a sort of help-desk.
    > This forum becomes much less valuable folks don't
    > do a little of their own homework before posting.

I would recommend asking your questions elsewhere. Try this newsgroup:
    netscape.public.dev.html

If you can get neither answers nor referrals there, then try this:
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

Please read any FAQs before posting. (I know there's one at ciwah.)

You may want to visit http://www.bignosebird.com/
They also have a form-based message board, which you may find useful:
http://www.bignosebird.com/bbs.shtml