RE: Alt attribute for unimportant images

> From:	Jan Roland Eriksson [SMTP:jrexon@newsguy.com]
>

> Still it would be interesting to find out where in UA's you can find
> "sets of semantics rules". Todays (and tomorrows) "popular browsers"
	[DJW:]
	The most obvious semantic rules is the one that says that
	<A HREF=... defines a hyperlink.

	A better example of one that would apply to HTML browsers
	implemented properly, would be one that forced the first
	radio button to be checked when none were checked and the
	HTML version was one that required this.  I doubt that
	any do!

> Don't confuse "presentation" with "semantics" please.

	[DJW:]  Most people do!

	However, before people started treating HTML as a page description
	language with a pre-installed viewer, the theory was that the user
	agent should present the document in a manner consistent with
	its underlying semantics, not any author's concept of how it
	should be presented.   At that time, HTML was cleanly backwards
	compatible.