Re: XHTML/XML comment (case sensitivity an I18N, redux)

Arjun Ray wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Christopher Luebcke wrote:
>
> > my question is why XML (and thus XHTML) was created as
> > case-sensitive in the first place (especially if neither SGML or
> > HTML share this characteristic).
>
> Short answer:  Unicode.

Just to reiterate the answers that have been given, but citing
sources... the reason that XHTML mandates lower-case is

(a) XHTML documents conform to the XML spec:

"A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0"
	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126
	aka http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

(b) XML 1.0 is case sensitive. Why?
	"This is a summary of points made:
	Internationalization experts are unanimously against folding.
	..."
	-- XML WG decisions of Wed. Sep. 10
	http://www.w3.org/XML/9712-reports.html#ID40

So that much rules out <HTML>...</html>; and the only choice left is
between <HTML>...</HTML> and <html>...</html>. So then,

(c) The HTML WG decided on lower-case. I can't recall exactly when,
but I recall that it was discussed extensively in this forum....
It was at least as long ago as Dec '98:
	"2.3.3 Tags and attributes must be in lower case"
	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-html-in-xml-19981205/#normative

Ah yes... the extensive discussion begins with:

	XHTML and CASE-SENSITIVITY Daniel Austin (Wed, Feb 24 1999)
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Feb/0080.html

--
Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/