Re: ISO/IEC refs to HTML4

Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:

> I have had reason to browse through the ISO/IEC Standard for HTML4...
>
>   <URL:http://woodworm.cs.uml.edu/~rprice/15445/15445.html>
>
> ...and found among the text the following part...
>
>   "This International Standard makes normative reference to the
>    W3C Recommendation for HTML 4.0 amended by the HTML 4.0
>    Specification Errata."
>
> ...and there are links in there as follows...
>
>   <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40>
>
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/REC-html40-19980424-errata.html>
>
> ...following that first link brings me too...
>
>   <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/>
>
> ...i.e. the HTML4.01 recommendation, while the second link correctly
> goes to the errata page for HTML4
>
> My question is; is it correct of the W3 server to redirect a request for
> the older HTML4 spec to the latest HTML4.01 in this case (or in any case
> for that matter)?

Yes; the address http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40 is advertised
(since 18-Dec-1997) as the latest version of HTML 4.0; in ISO-speak,
I think that would be "HTML 4.0 as ammended or corrected."

If the ISO wanted to cite a specific version of HTML 4.0, we published
differend addresses for those:

the original Dec '97 recommendation:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40-971218/

and the editorial revision of Apr '98:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/

and we continue to service those addresses as such, i.e.
as archival, unchanging, stable publications.

> Or should I see this as a link update problem at ISO/IEC?

It's only a problem if they misunderstood what those addresses mean.

--
Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/