Re: frames targeting FEATURE REQUEST

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Nicole Goranko wrote:

> A click of the link below would grab the href URL but would show it in the
> specified frame ("main" in this case) of the frameURL's frameset (frameURL
> is just an attribute name I made up for <a>).
>
> ***********
> Check out this <a href="www.link.com"
> frameURL="http://209.172.224.3/website/frameset.htm" target="main">REALLY
> GREAT OFFER!</a>
> ***********
>
> where the attribute "frameURL" specifies the Client's frameset and the old
> "target" attribute specifically means the named frame in the Client's site
> (if a "frameURL" value is included in the link, if no "frameURL is included
> then the "target" attribute would act the way does as of HTML 4.0).

Given the current definition of FRAMEs, this is not necessary: the desired
effect can be achieved by pointing the HREF value to an *appropriately
defined* FRAMESET document.  In your suggestion, the frameset pointed to
by the frameURL value already has something in the frame named "main".
Putting something else in that window is now a *new* frameset, for which
in general, you need a new frameset definition in a new frameset document,
so you might as well point to that new frameset document directly.

It may not appear so at first sight, but the problem of how to update more
than one FRAME at the same time addresses the same issue - how do you make
*all* the frames the "correct" ones? - and is constrained by the same
inadequacies of the -ahem- "design" of FRAMEs (that you need a new URL
for *every* combination of frames):

  http://www.htmlhelp.org/faq/html/frames.html#frame-update2
  http://www.htmlhelp.org/faq/html/frames.html#frame-address

Arjun