Re: Status of Iframe in XHTML 1.1

JOrendorff@ixl.com wrote:

> > Hi! Everyone:
> > So, what is the fate of inline frame?
>
> Dropped from XHTML 1.1, unless a later draft resurrects it.
> For now, you can put the iframed content in a DIV and use CSS to
> set the box size and margins, and add a scrollbar.

Please read the XHTML 1.1 specification more carefully. In the Abstract,
Introduction, particularly Section 3. "The XHTML 1.1 Document Type" and
finally in the table in Appendix A. "Changes from XHTML 1.0" all describe
XHTML 1.1 as explicitly *not* providing features found in the HTML
Transitional or Frameset DTDs [1]. There is no frames support post-1.0,
and no plan to alter this decision [2]. We don't expect frame-like
functionality to be supported in XML environments except via stylesheets.

We can put this stuff in our specifications, but if you aren't willing
to RTFM then there's little we can do to allay your confusion. I realize
that these things do change as we move through the W3C process, but the
basic information on XHTML 1.1 has been relatively stable and publicly
available online for four months (since Sept. 10th, 1999, and within
the W3C membership since August 16th).

And yes, the proper answer to the original question is to use a stylesheet.

Murray

[1] "XHTML 1.1 - Module-based XHTML", http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-roadmap/
[2] "HTML Working Group Roadmap", http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11
Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey         <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, 901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK17-102, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy