Re: Status of Frames in HTML 4

Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com> wrote:
>Dave  J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk> wrote:
>>Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com> wrote:

>>> It isn't. But you can't expect a spec that allows them to look forward
>>> to a spec that changes the situation. We don't retroactively edit a
>>> spec to say "oh, and these will be deprecated in that spec 2 iterations
>>> forward".

No, we instead label them as deprecated which means they'll be removed from
the specification later, or even remove them from a companion specification
that excludes all that is deprecated.

>> The argument was that they were already disallowed by
>> the strict version of HTML 4.  Other things that are
>> disallowed by the strict version are marked deprecated
>> in the narrative of that spec.

> Frames were never *in* the HTML 4 strict set, so they can't be deprecated
> there.

Ann, _nothing_ deprecated is in the _strict_ set, including frames and
their support tag noframes and attribute target, because they _are_
deprecated.  Frames are implicitly deprecated by their absence, yet this is
not as obvious as it could be.  They should be explicitly stated as
deprecated and not treated as a secret so that they know what to avoid
using.