Status of Frames in HTML 4 (was: errata, http://www.w3.org/TR/xht ml1)

> From:	JOrendorff@ixl.com [SMTP:JOrendorff@ixl.com]
>
> There are no frames in the strict DTD, so naturally "target"
> is not there.  This is the case in HTML 4.01 as well.

	On the other hand, there is no obvious statement in
	the narrative of the HTML 4.0 and 4.01 spec
	that Frames are deprecated, which
	makes it impossible to argue with people who are
	already unwilling to avoid frames that they
	shouldn't use them.

	Actually, I think frames will last at least 5 years
	(i.e. until NS 3 to 4.x and IE 3 are almost
	completely eliminated from the market and authors
	have stopped copying page structures designed for
	them).

	Also, target is meaningful without frames, as it
	causes a new window to be opened in a way that falls
	back cleanly to old browsers (unlike scripting
	solutions).