Re: Seperating Document Content from Structure (was RE: inline CSS - score so far)

At 04:59a -0500 02/24/00, Arjun Ray didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:
>On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>
>  > Eeesh. What I do is create an HTML template file (I like to use
>  > *.htpl as a naming convention) and put placeholders in it:
>  > [...]
>  > <TITLE>`FOO</TITLE>
>  > [...]
>  > <H1>`BAR</H1>
>  > [...]
>  >
>  > Then a Perl CGI slurps the file into a variable, does some s// on the
>  > placeholders, and serves the result.
>  >
>  > $html =~ s/`FOO/$foo/g;
>  > $html =~ s/`BAR/$bar/g;
>  >
>  > Clean and simple.
>
>For tag soup, yes.  The file could be any horrendous mishmash, but the
>Perl program, doing text substitution only, wouldn't care.

That's a separate issue; I was only addressing the subject of this thread. :)

>  > HTML remains pure HTML,
>
>If it's a question of replacing "placeholders", entity references work
>just as well - besides, of course, being a standardized technique, but
>we're not supposed to mention such things

LOL.

>- and a SGML-based program
>like sgmlnorm can do the rest.
>
>  > and the web designer can easily modify the template file without
>  > seeing any programming code at all.
>
>Never mind validated output, never mind well-formed output, is there
>any guarantee that the output will even have proper nesting?  Nah, why
>bother, right?;)

Oh, are we segueing into authoring competence? OK. Well, rules,
regulations, specifications and recommendations can be promulgated to
the ends of the earth, but human behavior (and attitudes) cannot be
legislated. People will do what people will do; that's life. I think
all we can do against that are two things: education and voting with
our feet.

It's past my bedtime...

-boo
  Zzzzzzzzz.....