Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Sal Candido wrote:

> > So, what entitles anyone (including software) to simply - or is
> > it blithely! - *assume* that the contents of the attribute are
> > in fact CSS, and not some other language?
>
> [...] I suppose there could be some way to set the default styling
> language for the style attribute in each document, but that would
> just be annoying as well.

As others have noted, the HTML 4.x specs have an answer of sorts, but
there is no getting around the annoyance.  Going forward, one would
want a robust solution - but that's the more general problem of how
'resources' (such as stylesheets) get associated with xHTML documents.

> note: Is there some place that explains the reasoning behind the
> W3C specs or the thought process the working groups went through
> when writing the specs? I haven't been able to find one.

This list had a lot of bandwidth recently on just this issue.  The
bottom line is that W3C deliberations aren't necessarily open, the
openness varies from WG to WG, and if the activity page doesn't have
something, public documents (or archives) most likely don't exist.

Arjun